A winter weather event is approaching north Georgia, with the possibility of affecting the Atlanta area. At this time the university is under normal, full operations and activities.
Oglethorpe University will resume all normal operations and activities Friday, January 19.
UPDATE: All university classes and events are cancelled today and tonight due to weather conditions. Essential staff will remain on campus to provide usual services for residents.
6:30 am: Campus is open but faculty has been instructed to contact their classes if they are to be cancelled. Likewise, some students live close to campus and others do not. We want people being safe first. Be in communication with your professors and check your email or MOOLE for a message.
Campus Dining with will be weekend hours (brunch dining).
All university classes and events are cancelled today at 2:00 PM due to weather conditions. Essential staff will remain on campus to provide usual services for residents.
All classes and activities have been canceled until 6PM on 9/12/17. All classes will resume at 6PM on 9/12/17. Only essential staff should report.
Follow same protocol as Monday September 11, 2017.
The latest projections from the National Hurricane Center have the remnants of Hurricane Irma passing through our area Monday afternoon into Tuesday. Heavy rain and winds are expected. Our campus and the surrounding areas are very susceptible to power outages during storms and we are preparing for the likelihood that we could lose power for a significant period of time.
At this time, all weekend activities and Monday classes are continuing as planned. The university is well-prepared for a significant weather event and is monitoring the track of the storm closely. We do understand that some students may prefer to travel home to be with their families this weekend and commuter students may have concerns about traveling late on Monday. In the event that you cannot return to class on Monday or Tuesday, please consult your class syllabi for attendance policies and communicate with your professors to make appropriate arrangements.
If the university decides to cancel or delay classes, you will be notified via email and OU Alerts (email, phone and text).
To prepare for the storm, we encourage you to do the following this weekend:
- Update your contact numbers in the OU Alert system. You may also add your parent’s numbers if they want to receive this information. https://safety.oglethorpe.edu/emergency-preparedness/
- Download the Outlook app to ensure email access from your phone.
- Charge all of your devices and consider purchasing portable USB battery chargers.
- Have flashlights with fresh batteries on hand.
- Fill the gas tanks of your vehicles and park them in central lots on campus away from potential falling trees. Enforcement of parking zones will be suspended during this time.
- Discard potentially perishable food items from refrigerators.
- If you require prescription medications, be sure that you have an adequate supply on hand.
During the storm:
- If weather conditions deteriorate, we encourage all students to shelter in place either in their residence hall or in the Turner Lynch Campus Center.
- There is always the possibility of tornadoes. In the event a tornado warning is issued, the university will notify you via OU Alerts. Seek shelter in the center of a windowless room on the lowest floor of your building.
- Avoid the use of elevators. If we lose power, you will be stranded and emergency personnel may not be able to respond quickly.
- Campus safety, residence life, dining services and maintenance staff will remain on campus for the duration of the storm.
In the event of a temporary power loss:
- The Turner Lynch Campus Center will become the main gathering point for students and staff. Meal service, water, emergency lighting and other services will be provided.
- Students may relocate to the TLCC overnight. If you choose to do so, please bring bed linens and other necessities with you.
- The gate to the side entrance of the university will be closed and the front gate will become the only entrance/exit.
- Remember that candles and open flames of any type are prohibited and particularly dangerous.
We recognize that this storm is impacting family and friends of our community. Please reach out to me or other members of our staff for support.
Updates will be provided via email, OU Alerts and on the website at https://weather.oglethorpe.edu/